Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bone Density Study: *** Accepted ***

I got good news and bad news! 

Good news:  I have been accepted to take part in a bone density study at the University of MO and I am in the weight resistance group (which is the group I was hoping to get).  The study is for a year and as I mentioned in my previous post, they will provide a trainer, vitamins, calcium supplements and I'll get paid to participate.  The resistance training consists of squats, military presses, lunges, calf raises, leg lifts, back raises, and a couple of others I can't remember at this time.  I am looking forward to it.

Bad news:  I have low bone density.  :(

They provided me with a DXA scan to find my bone density level.  Which also had my body fat percentage of 23.3%.  I believe in three months, they will scan me again.  My goal now is to reduce this percentage.  According to the paperwork they sent me, a highly trained male endurance athlete is typically 5 to 15%.  So my goal is 10%.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the low bone density but the program sounds like an awesome opportunity. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete